Rechercher dans ce blog

Friday, October 16, 2020

Putting women behind the wheel | shots - Shots

wheel.indah.link

Stunt driving is a part of the ad industry that remains plagued by sexism. 

The stereotype that women are worse drivers than men has persisted to this day, despite having no bearing in reality. A reported piece in Deadline talks about how when a stunt calls for a person of a ‘nondescript’ gender (meaning the stunt driver won’t be seen on film,) the drivers hired are overwhelmingly white and male. What does this mean for female stunt drivers, who not only exist in the industry, but also excel in the craft? 

Drivers, Angela Meryl, Olivia Summers, and Dee Bryant decided to do something about it. Earlier this year, they began the Association of Women Drivers (AWD), and decided that if they wanted to stop unfair hiring practices, they were going to have to work together. The three women have been working in the industry for years. Combined, they’ve done over 500 commercials and 300 feature films. These women aren’t just professionals; they’re elite drivers. 

The founding members of AWD were gracious enough to answer some of my questions and help expose some common shortcuts that companies sometimes take when hiring drivers.

What's your typical day on a commercial set? 

Angela Meryl: I usually get there a few minutes early, check in with an Assistant Director or PA, and then grab breakfast. Look for the Coordinator (if there is one), but sometimes it’s just you and the production team. We talk over the shots for the day or review a storyboard. Then go over to car prep and get notes on the car. After that, it’s hair, makeup, and wardrobe. Then, finally, I head to set!

Olivia Summers: When I get into work I always check in with production to let them know I’m on set and have a quick chat with the director. Next, I grab a coffee and go talk with car prep to get familiar with the vehicle I am driving. Now that I am coordinating car commercials as well as driving in them, I get together with the other drivers and talk about the day we’re about to shoot. 

I’ve seen well-known male drivers figure out who is being considered for a commercial job then go to the producer or agency and sabotage the job for that driver so he can put “his girl” on callsheet. -Summers

Dee Bryant: I always carry a tire pressure gauge, so the first thing that I do when I get to set is to ask the car prep guys to air up or lower the pressure in my tires, depending on what my stunt calls for. I always try to test drive the vehicle somewhere off-set before I get prepped for the shoot.

Above: Angela Meryl's driving reel
The Link Lonk


October 17, 2020 at 12:24AM
https://www.shots.net/news/view/putting-women-behind-the-wheel

Putting women behind the wheel | shots - Shots

https://news.google.com/search?q=Wheel&hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Helen Mirren Ecstatically Took The Wheel In 'F9' - Hollywood Outbreak

wheel.indah.link Vin Diesel as Dom in F9, co-written and directed by Justin Lin. Yes, Helen Mirren feels the need for speed. In real l...

Popular Posts